Oh Lord, purify me, make me a chalice in which you dwell, offer your sacrifice in me and spread your love through me. Let me shine like gold, adorn me with the jewels of virtue that I may always be open to you. Fill me. Overflow me. Let me be like that most perfect vessel, the Singular Vessel of Devotion, She to whom I cry for protection against the Evil One. I ask this for your glory, for the vessel is nothing without the sustenance inside, the cup nothing unless it is filled. Oh Lord, purify me.

Give me a word, Abba

Thursday, March 22, 2012

The Gospel of John

I'm not quite sure what it is about the Gospel of John, but whatever it is, it rocks.

I've been reading (alongside the daily readings for Mass) the Bread of Life discourse and those passages immediately surrounding it. Here's the reading from yesterday:

Amen, amen, I say to you, the hour is coming and is now here
when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God,
and those who hear will live.
For just as the Father has life in himself,
so also he gave to the Son the possession of life in himself.
And he gave him power to exercise judgment,
because he is the Son of Man.
Do not be amazed at this,
because the hour is coming in which all who are in the tombs
will hear his voice and will come out,
those who have done good deeds
to the resurrection of life,
but those who have done wicked deeds
to the resurrection of condemnation.

St. John's insistence on the idea of the Word is quite interesting. In this case, we hear of the "voice" of the Son of God which brings the dead to life. When God speaks, he speaks His Word, and His voice is life-giving. The Father has life in Himself, and as Jesus says elsewhere, He and the Father are One. God is Life to the fullest and every expression of Him is Life itself. When He speaks, behold Life.

If you recall, this is exactly what happened in Genesis. God has merely to speak and things came to life or came into existence. When Christ says "I make all things new," He truly means that the life which God gave to us through His voice in the beginning will now be renewed once more through His voice, this time physically manifested in the Son, the Word, the Logos.

No comments: